Sorry I didn't see this--I wasn't on sage-support until now.  I ran
across this thread while searching for something else.

On Nov 3, 12:04 am, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> On 11/2/10 5:17 PM, D.C. Ernst wrote:
>
> Yes, sagetex should work.  You just have to make sure you call the
> actual Sage program from the command line.  For me, that is:
>
> /Applications/Sage-4.6.app/Contents/Resources/sage/sage
>
> Ivan and other OSX wizards: is there any way to have a menu option to
> put Sage in the PATH for a user (persistent across logins, reboots, etc.)?

The answer is of course yes.  But which of several imperfect options
should we choose?

1. Add it to .bashrc and .cshrc and .tcshrc and .zshrc and fishrc
and .tclshrc and ...

1'. Add it to .bashrc and assume that if they have changed their shell
they know how to add it themselves.

2. Add it to ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist which requires logout/login
to take effect.  Supposedly `launchctl` is supposed to be able to
change the environment for the current session only so that the
combination would work, but I couldn't get it to work correctly on
10.6. :-(

3. Run `sage -c 'install_scripts(DIR)'` to put it in some directory
(which must then be in their PATH and might require superuser access).

4. Let them choose which method they prefer

My preferred method would be 2 except that every version would append
(or prepend) it's self to PATH and could lead to some bloat and
possibly the wrong version being first in PATH.  That problem could
potentially be worked around for 1 and 3 would not have it at all.  Of
course 3 might require root powers, or changing PATH anyway.  4 seems
like an option, but the different choices could be quite baffling.  If
_I_ can't decide, how is the neophyte supposed to.

You can read more about some options at:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/135688/setting-environment-variables-in-os-x

All of them have problems and are potentially confusing, especially to
the uninitiated, but I think that can be lessened with a good
confirmation dialog.  The more I think about it I'm leaning towards 1'
although I already have 2 mostly coded.

I also don't think it should be a menu item--it's something you will
do once per version.  How about putting it as a button in preferences?

-Ivan