On Oct 21, 11:01 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, October 21, 2011, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com>
> wrote:> On 10/20/11 11:14 PM, William Stein wrote:
>
> >> On Thursday, October 20, 2011, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com
> >> <mailto:kcris...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>  > demo.sagenb.org <http://demo.sagenb.org> is not responding, or at any
> >> rate is responding very,
> >>  > very slowly.  This is bad, because I just sent students there (see
>
> >> I will restart all the servers from my cell phone now, then revert
> >> Jason's change when I get home so this stops happening.  Clearly
> >> something he did must have major negative consequences.
>
> > There might have been a change in Rado's branch or the few bugfixes that I
>
> made over the last weekend that slowed things down.  But the fact that
> demo.sagenb.org is having problems, which is running the codebase from June
> (i.e., does not include any of the changes Rado or I made since June),
> indicates that the problem is not in the changes Rado and I have committed
> to the sage notebook since June.

Ah, I disagree here.  For instance, {demo,flask,www}.sagenb.org are
all once again misbehaving (really slow) as I type, whereas the one
for this summer's PREP (hosted not at UW) is working fine and quickly.

Now, how do I disagree?  Not in that there is something wrong with the
code in demo!  demo.sagenb.org being slow is a SYMPTOM of whatever
problem in the other ones is causing the trouble.   After all,
sagenb.org was on flask (not the latest, though) just a week ago when
we had 300+ successful open worksheets at a time, right?

I have no idea, but a futile guess is that www.sagenb.org being on the
new codebase is causing the actual machine to grind to a halt (they
are all on the same server, correct?).   I'm otherwise not having any
connectivity issues - only on the sagenb.org farm.  Even sagemath.org
works fine.

- kcrisman