On 10/21/11 10:32 AM, William Stein wrote:

Instantly after doing this *demo* became much faster.
I noticed before doing this that there was a single sagenb server
Python process running in top using a lot of cpu..

For future reference, it would have been *great* to get a stack trace of the currently executing code for the runaway process. I followed the instructions in a stack overflow answer [1] and can now do, as the sagenb user on mod:

gdb -p <PID of sagenb process>
pystack

and get a stack frame listing of a running process.

As I have time, I'll look into where there might be a performance regression, but there have been a lot of code changes between June and now, and we haven't seen the performance regression on test.sagenb.org.

Is there a possibility of running the new codebase for sagenb.org again and getting the stack trace when the process is using that much CPU?

Thanks,

Jason

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/132058/getting-stack-trace-from-a-running-python-application/147114#147114