Pedro, John - thanks for your replies! It is a shame that you can't
recompile bits of Sage from within Sage, but I guess there are good
reasons for this.

My package has the following characteristics:
1) it uses lots of Sage things
2) it is a mixture of Cython and Python
3) probably shouldn't be made part of everyone's Sage, but it would be
good if people could install it easily, as it will be of interest to a
certain community.

Because of (3), I would lean towards Pedro's idea of using
site-packages, however, I have lines like this in my .pyx files:

include "../ext/interrupt.pxi"

So I guess this means that I need to be part of the sage directory
structure, rather than being in site-packages? Or could I use
SAGE_ROOT or something to always guarantee to be able to find these
files?

Emil