Dear Ivan,

Followup to yor unanswered questions of yesterday :

[ Snip... ]

> The best would be if you could give a minimal recipe starting from `emacs
>> -Q`.
>>

> Won't do any good to you : my "(require sage "sage") is in my .emacs,
> which won't get searchde when starting emacs with -Q flag.
>

> What I meant was something like
>
> $ emacs -Q
>
> ;; Evaluate in scratch:
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/sage/local/share/emacs")
> (require 'sage "sage")
> (setq sage-command "/usr/local/bin/sage")
> (require 'sage-view "sage-view")
> (add-hook 'sage-startup-after-prompt-hook 'sage-view)
>
> M-x sage RET
>
> C-x C-c
>
> Repeat.
>
> Is that enough to reproduce it?  That eliminates other problems in your
> .emacs file, though I don't think that's very likely the problem.  I think
> it has to be something in .sage, but I've been wrong before. :-)
>
> Same result as before : first time (after removing ~/.sage), wiorks like a
charm, second time : dead emacs.

> The simplest way : start emacs from command line or from a gnome icon,
> type "M-x sage" in the startum screen, and voilĂ  : first time it works like
> a charm, second time (= second emacs invocation) : a dead emacs.
>

> What happens if you turn on debugging (M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET) and
> then run M-x sage and press C-g when it's frozen?

Aha ! When, I press ^G, the frame gets divided in two windows :
*SAGE-newerr* and *Backtrace*.
Content off *SAGE-newerr* :
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
  python-send-string("%colors NoColor")
  sage-send-command("%colors NoColor" nil)
  sage-send-startup-before-prompt-command()
  run-hooks(sage-startup-before-prompt-hook)
  sage(nil)
  call-interactively(sage record nil)
  command-execute(sage record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "sage")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

Content of *Backtrace* :
| Sage Version 5.9, Release Date: 2013-04-30                         |
| Type "notebook()" for the browser-based notebook interface.        |
| Type "help()" for help.                                            |
  RET
KeyboardInterrupt
sage:

Quite interestingly, sage is still active, and answers to command, but
output is *not* typeset :
sage: 2+2
4
sage: integrate(tan(x), x)
log(sec(x))
sage:

quitting sage then C-x C-c does a "normal" emacs exit (no hangup).
Repeating leads to the same result.

I tried to disable online typesetting and online plot in the .emacs file :
I still get a dead emacs when requesting a sage session...

> Now for the weirder part : I observed this behaviour on two machines : a
> "normal" desktop and a large desktop used as a server. On a third machine
> (a small notebook I bring with me almost everywhere), things work as
> advertised. I can't for the life of me state what differs between these
> machines re: sage and/or emacs. All of them also have texlive, R and maxima
> installations, all of them run Debian testing (updated often).
>

> Is there any way I could get a temporary account on the server to see if I
> can debug it there?  Email me privately with username and password if so.

OK : what is your mail address ?  Mail me at emanuel period charpentier hat
gmail.com

> Do they all have the same versions of Emacs, Sage, and same configuration
> files?  Perhaps .bashrc could come into play as well by setting the
> environment variable RANDOM_BUGS=1 :-)

Currently : "big desktop" : sage 5.10, "small desktop" and "notebook" :
sage 5.9. In all three cases, I updated R to 3.0.1 (see TRAC#14706) and
installed database_gap_4.5.7, dot2tex and sage_mode_0.9.1. All of them are
running Debian jessie, updatete about daily. The relevant .bashrc are about
pristine. "Big_desktop" has a sage-5.10 directory belonging to user "sage",
symlinked to /usr/local/sage. "Small desktop" has a /usr/local/sage-5.9
directory belonging to me, symlinked as /usr/local/sage. "notebook" has a
sage5-9 directory in my home directory, symlinked as /usr/local/sage. In
all cases, /usr/local/bn/sage is a symlink to /usr/local/sage/sage.

> Heisenbug ?
>

> Well, I've certainly never seen it, but there's probably a good reason for
> it.

Schrödinbug ??

Again, thank you for your time and your help !

                      Emmanuel Charpentier