On Jun 21, 2013, at 8:17 AM, Emmanuel Charpentier
<emanuel.charpent...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Ivan,
>
> Followup to yor unanswered questions of yesterday :
>
> [ Snip... ]
>
>> The simplest way : start emacs from command line or from a gnome icon, type
>> "M-x sage" in the startum screen, and voilĂ  : first time it works like a
>> charm, second time (= second emacs invocation) : a dead emacs.
>
> What happens if you turn on debugging (M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET) and then
> run M-x sage and press C-g when it's frozen?
>
> Aha ! When, I press ^G, the frame gets divided in two windows : *SAGE-newerr*
> and *Backtrace*.
> Content off *SAGE-newerr* :
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
>   python-send-string("%colors NoColor")
>   sage-send-command("%colors NoColor" nil)
>   sage-send-startup-before-prompt-command()
>   run-hooks(sage-startup-before-prompt-hook)
>   sage(nil)
>   call-interactively(sage record nil)
>   command-execute(sage record)
>   execute-extended-command(nil "sage")
>   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
>
> Content of *Backtrace* :
> | Sage Version 5.9, Release Date: 2013-04-30                         |
> | Type "notebook()" for the browser-based notebook interface.        |
> | Type "help()" for help.                                            |
>   RET
> KeyboardInterrupt
> sage:

I thought it might be something like this.  Now if I just knew what caused it.
:-)

> Quite interestingly, sage is still active, and answers to command, but output
> is not typeset :
> sage: 2+2
> 4
> sage: integrate(tan(x), x)
> log(sec(x))
> sage:

That's because sage-view isn't turned on until after all the initialization
happens and you quit before then.   You should be able to turn sage-view on
manually via M-x sage-view.

> quitting sage then C-x C-c does a "normal" emacs exit (no hangup). Repeating
> leads to the same result.

-Ivan