On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 7:59 PM William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 11:25 AM kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Though see this:
> > https://www.wolfram.com/engine/faq/#can-i-use-the-free-engine-in-an-open-source-project
>
> That says " However, the Free Engine license does not permit end-user
> use, except when this use is for further development. For end-user
> uses, users must have a separate license for the Wolfram Engine."
> which seems to me to make it crystal clear that it would not be legal
> to install cocalc-docker (or even Jupyter notebook) and along with
> Wolfram Engine and use it for any purpose except for development of
> cocalc or Jupyter itself (i.e., to make sure the UI works).
> Everything in that FAQ is about "developing a product".

I'm not a lawyer, but in Wolfram's mindset a scientific paper is a
product, too, no ?
(Especially assuming it has enough self-promotion hype  in it - not
sure, if this is a joke :-))

Would putting Wolfram Engine on cocalc with a warning saying "read
their terms of use" be
too dangerous, risking more than just being slapped with a "cease and
desist" letter?

Dima