I actualy do something like this. When I did this "as a human", I would check symantec's web page for the latest defintion file like- LiveUpdate Version : 2/9/2005 rev. 32. and then compare it to what was on my PC -CurDefs=20050209.032 from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs.

So I have my webserver do the first part, download the page and extract the Liveupdate version. The C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs is ftpd from my own workstation to the webserver, where thru the magic of PHP, the versions are compared. Then, depending on whether or not they are equal, an image is displayed on the web page. SA checks for that image ( or really the ALT tag) and responds accordingly. I have these files down/uploaded and check hourly. The result is that it takes two cycles to get notified but it's worked out OK for me.

Probably more complicated that it need be, but I'm not a programmer and managed to do it.

--------------------------- Gerald W Aquino Sessler Ford 847-362-4455 x 255