>I can't decide if the parents aren't aware of what the kids are watching, or
>if they do know and just don't care... either way, it worries me.
>
>My son, Simon, is 9 and has only recently got a tv in his bedroom (thanks to
>his grandparents). We have an agreement that he can only watch things he
>would normally watch on the tv downstairs - kids tv, football, etc - and
>when his friends come round they leave the door open while they're viewing;
>that way I know he's not being persuaded to put something unsuitable on.

What I don't understand is why the press and the government doesn't hype
the problem out of all reasonable proportion. Contrast it with most
newspapers' attitude to the internet - "how can we protect our innocent
children from this tidal wave of obscenity being delivered direct into
their bedrooms?"

The way I see it, what you'll find on the web and usenet represents a
fairly accurate cross-section of the world at large - warts 'n all - and
that parents should take at least as much responsibility over what their
children access as they would over letting them watch 18-rated films, or
letting them browse the top shelf at a local newsagent or whatever.

But a lot of parents seem not to. Which is bizarre, because apart from
anything else, I'm amazed they're unconcerned about paying the phone bill...

Andrew

--
 --  Andrew Collier  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  --        My other
  --      http://mnemotech.ucam.org      --       .sig is a