On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 03:59:43PM +0100, Aley Keprt wrote:
> I must add that this GoodSAMC is a holy nonsense. Sorry that I complain
> once again, but really - eh - where is any good point in having all these
> non-official ZXS games "compilations" in a disk database? I bet every one
> of us have got his own 10 or 30 ZXS disks. Should we have all these
> "compilations" listed in GoodSAMC? I don't think so. The software like
> GoodSAMC is good for MAME or similar projects, where it is used only for
> official ROM releases which are always the same. But using it for private
> nonofficial ZXS games "compilations"? Hey, I call it silly.

You're absolutely right.  Also, I doubt that much of the software in
GoodSAMC has been verified to see if the dumps are actually good!
(IIRC, disks use a 16-bit CCITT checksum, which isn't brilliant.)

> And as for archiving software, I would vote for a file-based format, like
> TAP or something silimar.

I agree.  I think TAP might be fine as-is (but I expect that a lot of
Speccy related software won't like SAM header blocks.)
--
Stuart Brady