Stuart Brady wrote:

You're absolutely right.  Also, I doubt that much of the software in
GoodSAMC has been verified to see if the dumps are actually good!
(IIRC, disks use a 16-bit CCITT checksum, which isn't brilliant.)

You had better believe it - I took a fair amount of the stuff from NVG that couldn't be unpacked or was borked from GoodSAMC and the amount of disks with no DOS, no autos or just plain broken were astonishing.

Every single disk of the NVG conversion was checked to make sure that it booted (where appropriate), loaded and did stuff, this kind of attention seems not been given to GoodSAMC.

My current project is taking the usable, non-warez bits of GoodSAMC and incorporating them into the tree for samcoupe.org, which, unsuprisingly, is the same structure as NVG. This one may take a bit of time to complete though as I've not got the full 789 GoodSAMC files yet which I want before I start extracting them into the tree.

GoodSAMC is for "ROMS" collectors as far as I am concerned and is heaving full of copyright material ripped and packed so not much use when we want the archive to be images of the actual discs we aim to preseve.

And as for archiving software, I would vote for a file-based format, like TAP or something silimar.

I agree.  I think TAP might be fine as-is (but I expect that a lot of
Speccy related software won't like SAM header blocks.)

The only problem is that most of the stuff on discs was only ever in that format and sequential format like TAP is kind of no-sensical - what happens when you want to write the high score table back to disc? Update a file?

We already have a file-based archive format - it's Rumsoft's ARCHIV (aka PAK) although as are documented on the list my experience with some of the files from NVG have been less than joyous, I read somewhere about a problem with the file header contents changing (can't find it now, curses) causing bad CRC errors in PAK files so maybe these problems are sumountable.

Another thing, 90% of NVG was already in "whole disc" format which has always been the preferred method for storage, especially since SimCoupe and having all the files in one image is no great hardship when you can just copy them over from one DSK to another in SimCoupe or Edwin's Disk manager.

Dan.