> Shouldn't the archive aim to store software in its original format?  Some
> titles were released on both disk and tape, so it would make sense to
> preserve both disk and tape images, and not just the most convenient
format.

I agree

> Converting existing disk titles to tape files seems wrong to me, and would
> also make them much less convenient for use on real machines.

I disagree on that part.  I've seen several SAM go on ebay without
discdrives and I'm sure
there are many more and SAMs with faulty discdrives too. TAPes can  can be
easely converted
into WAVs and burned on a audio CD and can then SAM users without floppy
drive can enjoy
some of that stuff on the real machine too.

> I've implemented a quick test version that does a temporary disk image
> switch when attempting to boot from a non-bootable disk.  It loads only
DOS
> from the switched disk, returning to the original disk for the AUTO* file
> search (if required).  In the options you just specify the path of the
disk
> image or .SBT file containing DOS.  Does that fit your requirements?

Excellent.

> It might even be nice if SimCoupe had a built-in DOS image so the option
> could be enabled by default, to help out new users...

Good Idea and I think it would nice for experienced users too.

Edwin