2. Is it correct that the profile files are not synced until the user
logs off?

That is the correct working of roaming profiles. If you want the files only on the server, you should look into "Folder redirection". The Samba docs contain good info on that.

You can use roaming profiles only, folder redirection only, or a combination of both, which I usually consider the more appropriate option.

Samba-3 by Example -- Configuration of Default Profile with Folder Redirection
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#redirfold

There's another good web page about this issue (Windows System Management: Real Men Don't Click) but it seems unavailable now. I have it in my archives and I will send it to your email address as a .mht file.