Isn't there a way with group policies to have the client delete the
roaming profile after the user logs out. I think that would solve the
OP''s problem.

Yes, there's a way to do that. But it doesn't solve the problem of having to transfer maybe hundreds of megabytes or even worse each time you log in to the domain. Back when the idea of roaming profiles was first put to practice (Windows 2000), user profiles were MUCH smaller than they are today.

So, the use of roaming profiles with folder redirection seems to me the most appropriate way to deal with this.

Please note that the "Local Settings" component of the profile should not be redirected.