NO, IT DOESN'T!

Microsoft disagrees - see below.

You are introducing a new theme altogether: Offline Files. On a local and *reliable* network, you can use folder redirection *without* Offline Files. I did it and it works.

What you describe is the behavior of normal *roaming profiles*.

No... you can use a combination of roaming profiles and redirected folders for the best result, which is what I do.

That's precisely what I was advocating. Please read my posts.

The stuff in t he roaming profiles (very little) is copied back/forth at login/out, the stuff in t he redirected folders is *synchronized* at all times using the Offline Files technology that has long existed in Microsofts products.

Maybe you were not very clear in your first post. You said the following:

"Folder Redirection will always (...) store local cached copy of those folders on the local computer... what it accomplishes is it saves all of the copying back and forth when logging in/out."

which is not true. Even with Offline Files, only the files you are working with will be synchronized back and forth. The redirected folders themselves and the files previously stored therein will not be transferred to the client machine. This makes a big difference because we may be talking about Gigabytes of data. A roaming profile without folder redirection does transfer the whole profile, which might have been a good idea a decade ago but is not feasible with the amounts of data we work with today.

Yes, but they will *also* reside on the *local computer*.

As I said before, only the files you are modifying will have a local instance, which will be synchronized to the server at logout.