It is no doubt a window issue (bug). The mouse or keyboard events are received
but are not sent to the correct window in Scid. Then by opening another window
Scid goes through some window registration code, so it "wakes up" and the
events are now sent to the correct window.

Even though our descriptions below involve different windows, they both
describe the same thing. Open an unrelated window, Scid starts responding
correctly. So there you have a workaround.

--
Alan