On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Scott_Gates wrote:

OK, If I needed a desktop, I'd just roll my own. Probably starting with=20=

something bare-bones from TigerDirect.

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop, rather than just recycling old ones,=
=20
like I have been.=20

I have HEARD there are issues with trying to install on computers with=20=

Windows8 already installed--the only source I have of "CHEAP" laptops.=20=
=20

If a i386/x86_64 laptop is certified for the "Windows 8 logo" then it has to have "secure boot" enabled in the bios(uefi) by default as required by Microsoft. Secure boot requires a 'signed by microsoft' program to boot. But the bios(uefi) is REQUIRED to have a method to turn off the "secure boot" option and thus not require a microsoft signed os.

Note that ARM based laptop with "Windows 8 logo" are required to enable "secure boot" but are required to not allow that it be changed. Again as required by microsoft.

Basically a Wal-mart or Best-buy boxes that I can get in the $250-$400 ra=
nge.

Does anybody have experience with this?  Yeah, I know I'll be Voiding the=
=20
Warranty--but, I need a laptop for real work--not socializing or net=20
flicking.  You know what I mean.

-Connie Sieh