From: Yasha Karant <ykar...@csusb.edu>

"There are popular authors, many of whom have the practical skill to have a
place in a specific temporal market and even be well remunerated for their
writing, and then there are enduring authors.  Only the history of the
future will tell if King's work are well read in a century or much longer.
 Chaucer has survived, the works attributed to Shakespeare have survived
(although only "educated" persons have read the sonnets, the plays often
are seen by the general public, and have been made into motion pictures),
as has Dickens and Clemens.   However, how many of their contemporaries --
even those very popular and possibly "profitable" in their immediate epoch
-- are still read or performed?  I suspect the judgement of the English
professor is premature -- and I also suspect that most of King will be
relegated to a minor place for the general public of the future.  Our world
of computers is much more rapidly paced -- most of my students have never
heard of Control Data Corporation or even Digital Equipment Corporation,
many have not recalled Grace Hopper, let alone Seymour Cray."

My useless life is laid bare for all to see.

I have been building systems and reading plays when I should have been
"teaching" captive students and reading sonnets.

I have been eating apples and oranges all my life, lacking the wisdom to
see they are so much more than fruit.  My cruel fate is to learn this, only
as I near the end, while reading the Scientific Linux mailing list.

Golly.