greetings robert,

welcome to 'the world of wonder'.

wonder how to do it. wonder how to get help. :-)

i do not use forums, i do follow support list, so i/we need some answers.

On 04/18/2013 03:04 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
<>

direction to get Scientific Linux v 6.4 installed and working.

how did you install system?

intel pc, mac, desktop, laptop, other?

did you try you a live cd/dvd to see if all your hardware was recognized?

      The thread is posted on the Scientific Linux Forum under "New Linux
users questions." My name for the user is benjie1  I first posted on
April 8, and the title of the thread is "Can't login to gnome or kde in
SL 64." After the first post on the 8th, I received replies very
promptly until April 11. That was the last reply. I have posted several
times asking for help on the same problem and giving more output and
answering questions that were asked of me. Never did I double post, nor
use foul language, nor violate any of the rules, as far as I know.
      At this point, I am hoping that someone can guide me as to what I
should do so I can use SL 64. I have seen it on a friends PC and it

The basic problem I have is that after a successful
install, there is no GUI where I can log in, and no keyboard or mouse.

then it is not really a successful install. :-(

All I can do is use Ctl+Alt+F2 and get a command line and login as root.

that shows keyboard _is_ recognized.

what you did you do/try as root?

*never* connect to internet as root.

as a user, use 'su' if you have and then be very careful and aware of
what is happening.

what commands did you try?

did you try startx?

The posts in the thread will show what I have done and then I can try
again if I receive some guidance.

again, i do not use forums, nor do a lot of other post followers, so
i/we are not aware.

What surprises me is why the sudden
stoppage of all replies. What did I do?

another good question. see above.

If this email has violated any rules or caused any problems I
sincerely apologize. As I said, I have no way to know what to do in
order to get SL 6.4 working. This is all I hope to accomplish eventually.
      Thanks very much to all those who may be able to help.

I will do my best to follow suggestions that are made and hope to get
> this working.

be sure to respond to _all_ suggestions.

remember, vague is as vague does.

perseverance.

tc. hago.

.