Bob,

I think someone else suggested this, but it would be a quick way to
determine if your video card, mouse and keyboard are working.

Download one of the Scientific Linux Live .iso files from the following
link and burn a boot disk from it.

http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/livecd/63/x86_64/

How to burn it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dy6OlXhWVk

Boot from the Live disk. It should come up to the GUI and let you login.
There will be an "Install" link on the desktop and you can install a
working system from there.

If this doesn't work, there may be a problem with your hardware.

John