What you described works manually.

Basically, the service is not started on reboot even though I've enabled it. So I don't know what 'enabling' a service means.

Since tftp-server installs /etc/xinetd.d/tftp, is it hinting that it should be started via xinetd? Do I need to install xinetd or is systemd so do-it-all, know-it-all that it's taken over xinetd's functions?

I've tried the obvious steps. I'm working my way through all the permutations (however illogical) to see what works. Obviously, enabling a systemd service does not necessarily start the service on reboot. When does enabling a service not enable it?

I wanted to test an application I wrote and I've spent 3 hours trying to configure the system so it will let me.

Systemd is really too much.