I've done all that. But after I reboot the system, I cannot tftp a file from the server. But if I start tftp.service manually, I can get the file.

If a service is never available on reboot after you've enabled it, what does 'systemctl enable' mean?

Is there some magic sequence of steps I need to take to "really" enable the tftp service?

Thanks for the tip on retiring. I think you've got something there. ;)