Thanks for your advice folks, much appreciated. I believe this has helped

to identify the probable source of the problem. I would still need some

further help in order to solve it though. More specifically:

@zxq9:

fstab seems to have been tampered with. It reads as follows, I can't see

anything unusual, but maybe I am overlooking something.

#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Fri Sept 23 08:55:24 2011
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under ‘/
dev/disc’
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or glkid(8) for more in
fo
#
/dev/mapper/vg_gapqub01-lv_root /                               ext4
defaults                1 1
UUID=56f4f74f-1327-4ef5-8888-8acf863cdfbf /boot ext4    defaults

1 2
/dev/mapper/vg_gapqub01-lv_home /home                   ext4    defaults

1 2
/dev/mapper/vg_gapqub01-lv_swap swap                    swap    defaults

0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                                tmpfs
defaults                0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                                devpts
gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                                    sysfs
defaults                0 0
proc                    /proc                                   proc
defaults                0 0

@Steven Yellin:

You are right, this seems to be where the problem lies. When I boot
in “single” mode and type “df”, t
his is what I get:

Filesystem      1k-blocks       Used            Available       Use%
                51606140        51604044                0       100%

Mounted on /dev/mapper/vg_gapqub01-lv_root

Deleting non essential data from /tmp or /var/log certainly sounds like a

good idea. I deleted the retroclient.log from /var/log, but that didn't d
the trick. I am unsure now what other data could be deleted without
jeopardizing system integrity.