On 12/09/2013 11:20 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
then you absolutely want to be running
them against a snapshot rather than a live FS and LVM makes this easy.

Never really cared for LVM.  Always used the direct partition approach.

Well, perhaps I can try to convince you some more.

Take another example of upgrading to a bigger disk. Huge PITA if you use direct partitions. Shut the system down and use a live OS or something while you move over all the data -- which could take hours or days depending on what you need to move. If you are really obsessive you probably want to make sure nothing got lost in the move so there is a whole compare exercise after it finishes.

If you have LVM you simply install your new drive (assuming you can hotswap you don't even have to shutdown for that) run pvcreate, vgextend and then pvmove. Some hours (or days) later it finishes and your data is magically on the new disk without even a moment of downtime.

A lvextend and a resize2fs (or whatever utility resizes the FS you use) and you can start using the extra space, still with no downtime.

That is pure sysadmin gold!

BTW: I also use LVM on my offsite backup disks. I just use the same volume group/volume name on all the disks. Works with LUKS also.

Jeff