On 12/10/2013 07:49 PM, Paul Robert Marino wrote:

Well in the case of migrating from one storage array to an other newer
bugger one the LVM migration capability is handy.
Any one who has had to go through the pain of a SAN migration especially
to a different SAN vendor will see the value of LVM there. That said
that only became stable enough to really trust it on critical
infrastructure a few years ago.
The ease in growing a volume on a LUN comes from the fact that LVM
volume group can span multiple logical disk partitions and or LUNs
  although again this really only became stable enough to trust it on
critical infrastructure a few years ago as well.

Early on there were many problems with LVM but over the years its
matured significantly I've begun to trust it more  and more since the
release of El6, where under EL5 I absolutely refused to use it on any
production box.

Yes, it has improved over time, but I wouldn't call it unusable in RHEL5. I have a RHEL5 server which has been running LVM since it was installed 4 years ago, and it is at 99.996% uptime (excluding scheduled maintenance).

Jeff