I know it is easy to complain about how we are portrayed in the media,
but in a media and a country dominated by white people what do you
think white people are OBLIGATED to do in Sci-Fi? There is no social
law mandating black representation in Sci-Fi, if anything White folks
would stick to the 12% rule just to be on the safe side.  That will
give us at least one black for every 10 to 12 actors in front of the
camera.  If it is a Bald headed dark skinned brotha playing a body
guard i.e. The Mummy and The Mummy Returns (Black guard for the
Pharaoh), so be it, they met their quota for social inclusion.  It
will shut up some blacks.  Lets be honest here.

Also What will make you happy.  Even with examples of Cisco as a main
character it is not enough.  To be honest, they don't have to include
none of us, and even with protest, nothing would change.  We would
still watch anyway because that is all there is and we will find
something to complain about even if half the cast is Black, but then
how many white people would watch the movie?  Chances are, the Sci-Fi
flick would get dumped on UPN.

The White media do not have to cater to us and could survive without
catering to us.  I don't hear to many Black people talking Sci-Fi on
the elevator as I do when around White people or using Star Wars
cliches in meetings.  Black people is not their market. It never has
and never will be, not as long as the majority of our readership buy
books written by the likes of "Zane" when it comes the fiction.

Time and time again, the majority of Sci-Fi shows will have nothing
but White people.  White people do not invision us in there future.
Havn't all of you got that message, at least.  Watching the movie
Dungeons and Dragons, this weekend on the Sci-Fi channel shows the
lack of interest in us.  For God sakes, need I say Lord of the Rings.
 Even Star Wars movies, the number one black character was a
voice-over for Darth Vader.  Even with the character, Lando, played by
Billy D. Williams represented a hussler, gambler and crook.

And don't expect English writers to be as forgiving.  They are even
worse.  How many of you own a Harry Potter books? It wouldn't suprise
me that some of you did a Black character search in the book.  I know
it happen, because there were articles written about it.

The point it -
Empowerment is when you have power. As long as you beg from white
folks for inclusion, the weaker and dependent you sound. White folks
look at us in Sci-Fi how they look at us in reality. "subordinates and
subserviants".(sp)

Oh sure, some liberal Whites will fight for our cause, but look at the
Sci-Fi shows and TV shows in general.  Not much has changed and we are
still complaining about it.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/LRMolB/TM