I started with "The Simpsons Movie" which, I am glad I did not pay to
see in a theatre as it comes nowhere near any of the great Simpson
episodes.  It is, however, the environmental movie with the largest
box office, thus far: $525,797,315 (as much of an inconvenient truth
as that may be for Nobel laureate Al Gore).

I followed that with "Children of Men," which I have had forever, but
just now got around to seeing.  Keith, this is a marvelous movie.
Alphonso Cuaron's film is so organic and fully realized, it is like
you are not even watching a movie. Paul Greengrass gets lots of press
for the immediacy of his handheld camera style in the Bourne sequels
but he has nothing on Cuaron.

One of the lovely things about watching DVDs at home, besides the
ability to pause, rewind and fast forward, is the ability to go
on-line while you are watching.  When the question "who is that?"
popped into my head, I could go to IMDB and find out "who dat was."  I
spent another two hours online researching "Children of Men" while I
let the movie play through again.  Chocked full visually, "Childrn"
rewards frequent viewing (you'll be surprised what you missed the
first time).

I followed "Children" with "Eastern Promises."  I wanted to see
"Eastern Promises" because I simply adore David Cronenberg's last
film, "A History of Violence."  "History" was the movie where I first
became aware of how far Cronenberg had come as a filmmaker.
Cronenberg is a visual artist fully in charge of his filmmaking gifts.
 And he brings these gifts to "Promises."  The film is a sumptuous
view of London.  Everything seems to be informed by the high end
Russian Restaurant that is at the heart of the evil that saturates
this film.

I did not enjoy "Promises" on anywhere near the visceral level I
enjoyed "History."  "History" contains two of the hottest sex scenes
in film history.  "Promises" contains one of the most desultory ones.
Viggo Mortensen and Mario Bello have tangible heat in "History."
Mortensen and Naomi Watts barely glance off one another in "Promises."

Both the Tom Stall/Joey Cusack character played by Mortensen in
"Violence" and the Nikolai character he plays in "Promises" are
avenging angels.  In fact, "Eastern Promises" is virtually an
inside-out version of "Violence," with the heroes on a similar though
inverse journies toward redemption.

I was annoyed and disappointed by "Ratoutille."  Although critics
hailed it, to me it seems like the lesser of a string of great Brad
Bird animated movies, starting with "the Iron Giant."  Part of my
problem was the old school 2-D animation.  Part of my problem is the
needed suspension of belief.  EYE was never able to get past the
premise of that fat rat preparing food in the kitchen.  YEEECH!

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> wow! That is quite a feat.How do you process them. I reviewed
"Eastern Promises", you remember. A good but rather dreary and
oppressive feeling movie. I guess you'd have to cleanse your mind with
"The Simpsons" after that, then watch "Children of Men", which I hear
i good, then use "Ratatouille" to give you a light heart again.
> Did you watch 'em like that, alternating the serious with the
comedic, ending on a happy note? How were "Children of Men" and
"Ratatouille"? Never seen them