Everyone's entitled to their opinion and their likes and dislikes. I
can assure you, though, that I reject nothing without evaluating...
I actually did watch Children of men more than once and I'm one of
those people who pays strict attention to backgrounds and details.
That's why I said I get easily distracted. I've also been known to
irritate people by rewinding scenes to make sure I got everything.

I can't comment on who's better than who at the same age as I
typically ignore those comparisons mainly because the context is
typically different. I'm sure half the baseball players today would
destroy great players from the past because past players didn't have
HGH. I find that by the time I get to the "all else equal" there's
nothing left to compare.

--Grayson

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If you have given "Children of Men" one viewing, I suggest you
watch
> it again (and then again, if necessary).  Director Alphonso Cuaron
> does something cinema should always do but seldom does.  He tells
his
> story visually with as little verbal exposition as he can get away
> with.  I admit to being a little stumped by "Men" also, but on
> subsequent viewing, I realized Cuaron had given me all information
> needed in televison news reports and commercials that, on first
> viewing, are assumed to be just part of the busy mise-en-scene.
For
> instance, he does not direct our attention to the commercial for
the
> suicide medicine Quietus as it plays and when one of the characters
> picks the box of Quietus off the shelf and sits caressing the box
in
> his lap as he spends his last moments with his loved one, it is
done
> quietly, without fanfare.  If you have not been paying attention,
you
> have no clue as to what is about to transpire.  Other bits of
> exposition are givin in throwaway lines.
>
> I loved "Dead Ringers" and Jeremy Irons scene-chewing turn as very
> disturbed twin gynecologists.  Have you seen Cronenberg's "A
History
> of Violence"?  If not, I would be curious as to what your opinion
of
> that film.
>
> I am a huge Tarantino fan (no apologies needed).  "Pulp Fiction"
is my
> favorite movie of all time.  My list is composed entirely of films
> can watch again and again with full satisfaction.  Further, I think
> Eli Roth is a gifted filmmaker.  I had avoided "Hostel" because of
the
> subject matter, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it.  It
is
> very well made.  Roth wields a masterful camera.  I also think he
is
> lightyears ahead of where Cronenberg was at the same time in his
career.

> ~rave!
>

> --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "grayson.reyescole" <grayson@>
> wrote:
> >
> > I enjoyed Children of Men a great deal but was disappointed with
the
> > ending. I won't put any spoilers in but I wached it intently all
the
> > way through just *captivated* then sort of went "huh"?.
> >
> > I also just saw Eastern Promises two days ago and I liked it a
lot
> > maybe *because* of the clinical approach. I am ridiculously easy
> > distract. So, sometimes the very straightforward, removed tone
helps
> > me focus on the intensity of the story. I saw Dead Ringers when
I was
> > way too young to see it and it scarred me for life lol. I
haven't
> > seen it again in maybe ten years, but what I remember is that it
was
> > an absolutely horrible and fascinating story that had an almost
> > nonchalance in the voice without being something ludicrous like
the
> > silly Eli Roth and Tarentino fare (sorry Roth and Tarentino
fans). I
> > didn't realize until like a week ago that both Eastern Promises
and
> > Dead Ringers were directed by David Cronenberg, but then I
understood
> > even better why Eastern Promises hit "my movie spot." Although,
I was
> > left with a sexuality question... Stangely enough, I'm thinking
back
> > to Dead Ringers and I think I had a sexuality question there,
too.

> > All of this to say that maybe I listen to news radio too much on
my
> > way to work. Calm soothing voices telling me about the horrors
of the
> > world. :) .
> >
> > Just my 2ยข
> >
> > --Grayson
> >
> > In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, KeithBJohnson@ wrote:
> > >
> > > Great comments! I was amazed at the Simpsons take, but i went
> > BoxOfficeMojo.com and confirmed it did half a *billion* dollars
so
> > far! Holy crap! And most of that was overseas!  Can't wait to
see
> > Children of Men. I agree with you on "Eastern Promises". Looked
> > great, was a good movie, but left me rather despondent and empty
> > feeling inside. It is indeed cold and clinical (what my review
was
> > called, i believe) where History of Violence was more intense.
still
> > i liked them both. So for Ratatouille, is it the 3D cgi you
don't
> > like? Are you and old school 2D "hand drawn" fan? I am, and very
few
> > of the CGI stuff has really captured me, though "The
Incredibles"
> > certainly did.

> > > From: "ravenadal" <ravenadal@>
> > > I started with "The Simpsons Movie" which, I am glad I did not
pay
> > > see in a theatre as it comes nowhere near any of the great
Simpson
> > > episodes. It is, however, the environmental movie with the
largest
> > > box office, thus far: $525,797,315 (as much of an inconvenient
truth
> > > as that may be for Nobel laureate Al Gore).
> > >
> > > I followed that with "Children of Men," which I have had
forever,
> > but
> > > just now got around to seeing. Keith, this is a marvelous
movie.
> > > Alphonso Cuaron's film is so organic and fully realized, it is
like
> > > you are not even watching a movie. Paul Greengrass gets lots
of
> > press
> > > for the immediacy of his handheld camera style in the Bourne
sequels
> > > but he has nothing on Cuaron.
> > >
> > > One of the lovely things about watching DVDs at home, besides
the
> > > ability to pause, rewind and fast forward, is the ability to go
> > > on-line while you are watching. When the question "who is
that?"
> > > popped into my head, I could go to IMDB and find out "who dat
was."
> > > spent another two hours online researching "Children of Men"
while I
> > > let the movie play through again. Chocked full
visually, "Childrn"
> > > rewards frequent viewing (you'll be surprised what you missed
the
> > > first time).
> > >
> > > I followed "Children" with "Eastern Promises." I wanted to see
> > > "Eastern Promises" because I simply adore David Cronenberg's
last
> > > film, "A History of Violence." "History" was the movie where I
first
> > > became aware of how far Cronenberg had come as a filmmaker.
> > > Cronenberg is a visual artist fully in charge of his
filmmaking
> > gifts.
> > > And he brings these gifts to "Promises." The film is a
sumptuous
> > > view of London. Everything seems to be informed by the high end
> > > Russian Restaurant that is at the heart of the evil that
saturates
> > > this film.
> > >
> > > I did not enjoy "Promises" on anywhere near the visceral level
> > > enjoyed "History." "History" contains two of the hottest sex
scenes
> > > in film history. "Promises" contains one of the most desultory
ones.
> > > Viggo Mortensen and Mario Bello have tangible heat
in "History."
> > > Mortensen and Naomi Watts barely glance off one another
> > in "Promises."
> > >
> > > Both the Tom Stall/Joey Cusack character played by Mortensen in
> > > "Violence" and the Nikolai character he plays in "Promises" are
> > > avenging angels. In fact, "Eastern Promises" is virtually an
> > > inside-out version of "Violence," with the heroes on a similar
> > though
> > > inverse journies toward redemption.
> > >
> > > I was annoyed and disappointed by "Ratoutille." Although
critics
> > > hailed it, to me it seems like the lesser of a string of great
Brad
> > > Bird animated movies, starting with "the Iron Giant." Part of
my
> > > problem was the old school 2-D animation. Part of my problem
is the
> > > needed suspension of belief. EYE was never able to get past the
> > > premise of that fat rat preparing food in the kitchen. YEEECH!
> > >
> > > ~rave!

> > > "Eastern Promises", you remember. A good but rather dreary and
> > > oppressive feeling movie. I guess you'd have to cleanse your
mind
> > with
> > > "The Simpsons" after that, then watch "Children of Men", which
> > hear
> > > i good, then use "Ratatouille" to give you a light heart
again.
> > > comedic, ending on a happy note? How were "Children of Men" and
> > > "Ratatouille"? Never seen them

Men," "Eastern