I enjoyed Children of Men a great deal but was disappointed with the
ending. I won't put any spoilers in but I wached it intently all the
way through just *captivated* then sort of went "huh"?.

I also just saw Eastern Promises two days ago and I liked it a lot
maybe *because* of the clinical approach. I am ridiculously easy to
distract. So, sometimes the very straightforward, removed tone helps
me focus on the intensity of the story. I saw Dead Ringers when I was
way too young to see it and it scarred me for life lol. I haven't
seen it again in maybe ten years, but what I remember is that it was
an absolutely horrible and fascinating story that had an almost
nonchalance in the voice without being something ludicrous like the
silly Eli Roth and Tarentino fare (sorry Roth and Tarentino fans). I
didn't realize until like a week ago that both Eastern Promises and
Dead Ringers were directed by David Cronenberg, but then I understood
even better why Eastern Promises hit "my movie spot." Although, I was
left with a sexuality question... Stangely enough, I'm thinking back
to Dead Ringers and I think I had a sexuality question there, too.

All of this to say that maybe I listen to news radio too much on my
way to work. Calm soothing voices telling me about the horrors of the
world. :) .

Just my 2ยข

--Grayson

In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Great comments! I was amazed at the Simpsons take, but i went to
BoxOfficeMojo.com and confirmed it did half a *billion* dollars so
far! Holy crap! And most of that was overseas!  Can't wait to see
Children of Men. I agree with you on "Eastern Promises". Looked
great, was a good movie, but left me rather despondent and empty
feeling inside. It is indeed cold and clinical (what my review was
called, i believe) where History of Violence was more intense. still
i liked them both. So for Ratatouille, is it the 3D cgi you don't
like? Are you and old school 2D "hand drawn" fan? I am, and very few
of the CGI stuff has really captured me, though "The Incredibles"
certainly did.

> From: "ravenadal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I started with "The Simpsons Movie" which, I am glad I did not pay
> see in a theatre as it comes nowhere near any of the great Simpson
> episodes. It is, however, the environmental movie with the largest
> box office, thus far: $525,797,315 (as much of an inconvenient truth
> as that may be for Nobel laureate Al Gore).
>
> I followed that with "Children of Men," which I have had forever,
but
> just now got around to seeing. Keith, this is a marvelous movie.
> Alphonso Cuaron's film is so organic and fully realized, it is like
> you are not even watching a movie. Paul Greengrass gets lots of
press
> for the immediacy of his handheld camera style in the Bourne sequels
> but he has nothing on Cuaron.
>
> One of the lovely things about watching DVDs at home, besides the
> ability to pause, rewind and fast forward, is the ability to go
> on-line while you are watching. When the question "who is that?"
> popped into my head, I could go to IMDB and find out "who dat was."
> spent another two hours online researching "Children of Men" while I
> let the movie play through again. Chocked full visually, "Childrn"
> rewards frequent viewing (you'll be surprised what you missed the
> first time).
>
> I followed "Children" with "Eastern Promises." I wanted to see
> "Eastern Promises" because I simply adore David Cronenberg's last
> film, "A History of Violence." "History" was the movie where I first
> became aware of how far Cronenberg had come as a filmmaker.
> Cronenberg is a visual artist fully in charge of his filmmaking
gifts.
> And he brings these gifts to "Promises." The film is a sumptuous
> view of London. Everything seems to be informed by the high end
> Russian Restaurant that is at the heart of the evil that saturates
> this film.
>
> I did not enjoy "Promises" on anywhere near the visceral level I
> enjoyed "History." "History" contains two of the hottest sex scenes
> in film history. "Promises" contains one of the most desultory ones.
> Viggo Mortensen and Mario Bello have tangible heat in "History."
> Mortensen and Naomi Watts barely glance off one another
in "Promises."