Oh, you are preaching to the choir!  My son, who is a sophomore at the
University of Wisconsin-Madison, researched affirmative action for a
Speech class speech he had to give.  The government supplied
statistics confirmed that a white EX CONVICT had a better chance of
getting hired than a better qualified black male high school graduate
with no priors.

There are many a day when I believe the millions of young black men
who opt out and refuse to play this "zero sum game" may have it right.

Then I tighten the bootstraps I am lucky enough to have and send
another check to keep my son enrolled at a public college where he
will receive the diploma he will need to do the job I achieved without
one.

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "tdemorsella" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> Black male who has climbed the corporate ladder playing the game is
> more likely to fit in the board room than a White woman, a Black woman
> is more likely to get a job than a Black man."
>
> I was comparing Black men to white women (not black women) and saying
> they do better once they are up the top.  I was thinking of some of
> the people you were.  They all learned how to work the system and
> ultimately became a part of the network.  However recent surveys of
> boards have revealed that they are still the exception - not the rule.
>  Once they get up in the upper echelon, Black men are more readily
> excepted than White women.   While i is bad for white women in the
> board room, the situation is abysmal for Black women in the boardroom.
>   However, statistically, Black women get in the door easier at
> entry-level and lower-management positions than Black men.
>
> --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@> wrote:
> >
> > I agree with most of what you say below, but my twenty plus years
> > looking up through the glass ceiling at corporate america, I have seen
> > many more black men than black women ascend to the top corporate spot.
> > With Stan O'Neal ousted at Merril Lynch and Richard D. Parsons about
> > to retire at Time Warner, Kenneth Chenault remains at American
> > Express, Ronald Williams at Aetna, Clarence Otis Jr. at Darden
> > Restaurants, Aylwin Lewis at sears and John W. Thompson at Symantac.
> > I don't believe there is a similar list of African-American women.
> > The top eschelon of corporate America remains an old boy club.
> >
> > ~rave!
> >
> > --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "tdemorsella" <tdlists@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Gymfig
> > >
> > > Most biracial people with African blood are seen as Black -
> > > particularly those who look Black, say they are Black and are
> > > considered prominent members of the Black community.  Obama and his
> > > family are seen as Black.  The talking heads in the media often
refer
> > > to him as Black.  The conservatives portray him as a Black with
muslim
> > > leanings.
> > >
> > > Hilary comes from a connected family, she is worth millions, has a
> > > history, ironically of top ties with the republican party starting
> > > with Barry Goldwater, and for the last 20 years or so, she has been
> > > apart of the elite of the democratic party.  The woman is on the
board
> > > of Walmart. She is considered American Aristocracy.  She is a chairs
> > > and serves on several powerful committees in the Senate and  I
do not
> > > thing she exactly fit the profile of a woman excluded from the
> boardroom
> > >
> > > I have spent the past 15 years working with, reporting and training
> > > people on issues of race in the workplace and I have to tell you the
> > > male/female thing is not as black and white when it comes to
Black men
> > > - even biracial men.  While women consistent get paid less than men,
> > > Black men get paid less than White men.  a Black man with a
> > > traditional name is less likely to even get a job interview than a
> > > white female.  Black men (even biracial men) have higher
incidents of
> > > discrimination in the workplace than White women.
> > >
> > > There are other factors at work that you either overlooked or
were not
> > > aware of.    While a Black male who has climbed the corporate ladder
> > > playing the game is more likely to fit in the board room than a
White
> > > woman, a Black woman is more likely to get a job than a Black man.
> > > Black men are more likely to get laid off than White women as well.
> > > Many educators start feeling threatened by Black males - even
biracial
> > > Black males that look Black starting at age eight.  This continues
> > > into adulthood.  These are not my assumptions, but facts that have
> > > been proved time and again with data.  Black men (Black looking
> > > biracial men included)in New York and many American cities still can
> > > not get a cab and people will cross the street when they see one
> > > coming.  Black men (Black looking biracial men included)are also
still
> > > experiencing racial profiling on the road.
> > >
> > > Despite a history of supporting women in elections, more women voted
> > > for Obama and Edwards than Hilary.  More young people prefer
them, and
> > > more union people prefer them.  Most people want the war to end and
> > > she not only refuses to admit that her war decisions were wrong, she
> > > is very hawkish on Iran and Iraq.  Since her healthcare
initiative of
> > > the early nineties, She has been a polarizing force in the
democratic
> > > party - despite her many right wing stances of late.  In
polling, very
> > > few independents or republicans have indicated that they would vote
> > > for her.  Last night, she got very few votes from independents,
while
> > > Obama received 20% votes from independents and I think Edwards got
> > > more than 10% independent votes.  Because of her marriage to
bill and
> > > her current power in the senate, there is also the perception
that she
> > > is part of the status quo during a time when Americans of both
parties
> > > have indicated that they want significant change.  No status quo
> > > person of either party or any gender did well last night.
> > >
> > > I stopped liking Hilary a few years ago when she decided to become a
> > > baby Republican with her voting.   I understood why, but those
> > > decisions made it impossible to support her.   Knowing her
Republican
> > > roots, I was terrified of the prospect of her winning.  So, while I
> > > wanted Edwards to win, I was OK with Obama's win.  If you are a
Hilary