In a message dated 3/5/2008 11:30:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Well, I see "wardrobes" on sale all the time, but I get your point. I read a
while ago how the original title "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone"
had to be changed to "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for American
readers. The publisher was concerned--rightfully, I guess--that Americans
didn't
know what a Philosopher's Stone was.  That's sad though: if we could get used
absorbing other cultures more, we'd be the better for it. I used to watch
Monty Python when I was only ten years old, and many of the cultural references
escaped me then. But my trying to understand them helped me in the long run.
Ah well, that's America for you

I used to watch Are you being Served? I also picked up a lot from Masterpiece
Theater. I understand perfectly.