As I've said before, writing is where the Brits win and Americans lose,
TV-wise.Brit productions tend to stick with a set group of writers, who are
better able to maintain character and story continuity, in stark comparison
with American shows, who employ a stable of writers whose styles and visions
vary widely and wildly. Add in the American penchant for using "guest stars"
and "geust writers", and that cna upset the tone of a show even more. For
example, I remember one season of "The X-Files" in which eps were penned by
Stephen King and William Gibson. People I knew at the time who were fans of the
authors watched those eps and were pleased, but admitted that they normally
wouldn't have watched the show, were their favorite authors not involved. The
same may apply to favorite actors as well. No data on that.

maidmarian_thepoet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                               So
that they can replace the lead actress with a blond, of course.

 Seriously, so many of the dramatic remakes are worse and don't last
 long.  The comedies seem to make it, but I would imagine--as someone has
 mentioned--that the comedies do a major rewrite in order to match U.S.
 comedy styles.

 That said, I am absolutely hooked on "The Treatment".  And it comes on
 at such an odd time.  Often, I have to stay up later and catch the rerun
 because it comes on in the middle of our prime time.

 --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 > In a message dated 3/5/2008 9:19:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
 > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
 >
 > What is it so that British and other foreign audiences will often
 watch
 > original American shows, but American TV so often remakes foreign
 shows with
 > American actors, rather than just buy and air the original product?

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"