From: "Tracey de Morsella" <tdli...@multiculturaladvantage.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:37:54 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: RE: [scifinoir2] OT: Was the photoshopped Ralph Lauren model fired for
being overweight?

I worked as a stylist on the set a few times, as well as a model. The clothes
do lay easier on a thinner model than a normal sized model, but the whole
photographing process is about illusion, NOT reality. The purpose is to sell a
lie. It is easier to make cheap poorly constructed clothes look better on them.
I used to model in those clothing catalogs. The clothes fit horribly on all of
us. BUT the stylist comes to the set with clothes pins and needles and makes
them formfitting. Then they contort us in specific poses to make the clothes
look better. Then the photographer does his thing with lighting and
shadows……and the next thing you know, we look perfect and women are wondering
why the clothes look better on us then them. The reality is we didn’t. It is
false advertising. This illusion works on everyone, but best on the real skinny
models IMO.

Ironically, I was considered a little voluptuous at 115 and 34B at the time.
Because of that, I got work doing bathing suits, Calvin Kline underwear and
lingerie. I look at old pictures now, I while I do not see skinny, I do see
slender… NOT voluptuous. I never got into the serious diet thing and I used to
beat myself up for it. Looking back, I am relieved.

Now on a separate issue, if you go on the boards sometimes like on imdb and you
see the commentary by men about the female stars, I significant number like
that skinny look. Why is Brad with Angelina, Harrison with Calista and a host
of others. It is a specific taste that some straight men have. I’ve seen guys
call women I think are hot, fat. On that note, they are not men I want anything
to do with, nor do I want my daughter near them. Supposedly, these guys are
straight. I do not know, if they have a daddy thing going on, it makes them
feel my potent and stronger, or what, but there are men who like that.