Sometimes it depends on the guy that you hear the comments from. For
example, Howard Stern (remember him? He seems to slowly disappearing) was a
big critic. He would do "beauty contests" and weigh women on his show. Most
were average weight, others he would tell them "that they would look hotter
if they lost 20lbs."  Most of the time I found his comments off base, but
for modeling that would be the norm.

BBC America did a show on seeking size 0. They hired two female reporters
that were already small to try to loose weight down to a size 0. I won't
give it away but it is very interesting. Check it out if you have the
opportunity.