MY DAD!!!!!  He hated that I went into it, but unlike my mom, who disowned me
for it, and inadvertently, pushed me back in to it when I was about to give it
up.    He was smart, by supporting me and being my advocate, along with the
fact that I looked like jail bait, he was able to protect me.

At 18, when I pulled out my NYC map, and told my father I was taking the train
from philly to nyc to do the interviews with the big agencies, instead of
saying, no, he drove me up there and sat in the car as I went from agency to
agency that whole first day.

>From then on, I was required to give him my go-see or photoshoot schedule
>everyday and call him at designated times.  He encouraged me to tell the
>people I met with that I had to call him and ask to use their phones . I
>commuted to NY from Philly for the first few years.  He had me call him every
>morning from the train station when I arrived in NY and I had to called him to
>let him know what train I was getting on when I was coming home

Another reason, I think I survived was because, I do not think I wanted it bad
enough.  I wanted  to show my mother that she couldn’t control me more that I
wanted to be famous.   Deep down, I wanted to be like her and own my own
business.  So, when it came time to do the casting couch thing, either the men
having a fear of my Dad, who I had to check in with several times a day, or the
threat of not being a star not working, or me not needing a father figure,
probably caused me to blow a huge number of casting couch “opportunities.”

All my friends had boyfriends who “kept” them, I had boyfriends who could
barely afford their car, or had to get to class.   I dated guys they were real
smart and I liked them in my own age group.  So, my boyfriends tended not to be
rich like most models.  They tended to be geeks.

 I had a friend who I thought was gorgeous.  Around Christmas once she called
me devastated because her boyfriend got her a nose job for Christmas she did
not ask for nor want, nor up until then, think she needed – at least up until
that point.  I think there was a lot of remaking going on with models and their
“boyfriends”.  I guess I was a horrible friend, because I always told them to
dump them and move back home.  That is not the root to stardom.

What happened to Vanessa Williams with the photos, could have happened to me a
few times. In the eighties/nineties nudity and showing pubic hair were not
considered artistic like now.  I did underwear, sheer coverings, and other
camoflague covering, but no nudes.

Another old fart tried to molest me, but I told him I was sixteen, and my dad
was waiting for me and would come looking and he let me go.  During the
promotion of my rap album at a new music conference.  I caught a lot of flack
from my producer because I would not take the pills they kept trying to give me
“to relax.” They complained that I did not trust their judgement.  I would not
drink any liquor, and I never drank my drink if I left it unattended whenever I
was with them.   Again my dad, being in my ear gently guiding let me to make
safer choices than many out there on their own.

A few other scary incidents occurred, but I think my system with my dad,
protected me from getting hurt.  One guy told me I had what it took to make it
big, but if I did not play by the rules, I would never make it beyond mediocre.
 I do not know if I could have made it big, but I certainly would has gone much
further than I did.  He was right about the mediocrity.  But, it was my
decision, not someone controlling me.  Most of the people I met that did play
by the rule(not all)  did not end up so great.  Even some who made it further
than I did, did not end up so great.  Maintaining long term success in that
arena is hard to achieve.

Anyway, I’m soooo very lucky I had my dad, so I was able to come out of the
experience with a more positive outlook than negative.  The daily grind of just
working among the mediocre was fun and nonthreatening.

By the way, I think we should all want to be as hot as Sophia