From: "Kelwyn" <ravena...@yahoo.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 8:47:10 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: "Avatar" Keeps Rolling on Worldwide

Apples and oranges. Still, a remarkable cinematic achievement. I was blown away
when I saw it. Griffith practically invented modern cinematic language.

Indicting Griffith for the rise of KKK is like indicting Samuel Colt for drive
by shootings. Guilty as charged but, still, largely irrelevant.

Me, personally, would be more inclined to indict John M. Stahl ("In Old
Kentucky"), the first director to employ Stepin Fetchit as "the Laziest Man in
the World." This image was waaaay more destructive to black people than
anything in "Birth of a Nation."

~rave!