The 1%  fixes a lot.   I did not have a problem with the power going out.  They
were having blackouts and brownouts before the government fell.  Cell phones
were not working and the networks went down.  So it's not surprise that the
Grid would be the first to go. Here in the US, it would have gone soon.  The
GRID is in sad shape.    That is why I thought the use of an electric car was
out of the question.  At best converting cars to biodiesel is their best bet,
but long-term, I think they need to look at horses as another form of viable
transport along with biodiesel using cooking oil.

I agree that people like the Black guy are rare, but what about the doctor.
Doctors who work in hospitals around the world train for emergencies, yet she
left the hospital without even a pocketbook or a first aid kit.  Hospitals are
equipped with emergency generators too.  Most people would be clueless, but
would they drive around aimlessly?    I do not think anyone who has managed a
project, a committee, put on a school play, owned a small business, or worked
as a mid-level manager would drive around aimlessly for days or think the best
option would be to meet people and abandon them, because we are going to find
more.

I do not think the average person is wired that way.  For instance, I get the
woman  wanting to find her son.  If he has her genes, he may have survived.
She also had not yet figured out that there was not government,  but I do not
get the man, who had a clue about how things were going to be so easily letting
her go.  People cannot survive alone.  The guy from Kuwait driving around for
days with no plan for even getting food.  The criminal grabbing money.  What
for?

Would everybody be clueless?

Despite my complaints, I kind of liked it, so I was not going to abandon it,
but the characters' motivation still irks me