Everyone reacts differently, and I think the show was trying to show that. I
do however believe that they didn't spend hardly enough time on the process
of before and after everyone dying. It would be a catastrophic blow to be in
that situation and some people would probably blank out totally. Others
would think that they have been chosen by god to fulfill his purpose. Others
would try to take over etc.

What would you do if tomorrow you wake up and 99% of the world has died?

 I think I would first have some fun driving all of those expensive cars
etc. Then start gathering stuff. The characters on the show will have to
start dealing with a lot of stuff like wild animals and thugs. Plus crazy
survivalists which can be even worse than the other elements.