Brent,

I owe you an apology for high-mindedly saying I don't like being privy to
people's private thoughts and utterances, odious though they may be. I still
feel that way. I hate knowing that Gibson is such a racist on this level. I
don't get why his girlfriend chose to release this crap to Radar Online instead
of just the cops. I think, like the other topics we've discussed recently of
media coverage, we are becoming way too much of a nation where everyone wants
to get their stuff out in the media for a variety of reasons. But, for all that
I wish and think this stuff should never have been released this way, I must
admit I've listened to it, and it sickens me. The only question I have is, why
is *anyone* still surprised at Gibson's racism? The drunken rants when he was
arrested were enough evidence, the disturbing anti-Semitic tones of "The
Passion of the Christ" were troublesome as well.

As for Whoopi Goldberg saying he's not a racist, I have no idea what the hell
her definition is, but I'm not surprised. She's dealt with self-hatred and
hatred of black people for a long time. I've noticed over the years how she
attacks people who use the term "African-American", saying she's "just an
American", as if the term were insulting. I note how refused to wear a ribbon
against racism for the Oscars one year, and even did a riff on it, but
curiously, she wore things supporting everything from gay rights to women's
rights. And I note that, the same lady who gives people like Gibson a pass is
very quick to attack other blacks. years ago she was given an Essence award I
believe. (Might have been NAACP...) When she got the award, Goldberg proceeded
to thank the audience, then tell them "Y'all have made it hard on me--very
hard". She berated the audience for all the years that blacks had laughed at
her looks, not supported her, and made her feel ugly. Odd that she was so quick
to attack blacks publicly, takes offense at "black" labels, yet can be so
forgiving and understanding of racism like this.

Oh yeah: I bet Danny Glover is saying, "What the fu**, Mel?!"

http://www.examiner.com/x-15166-Comedy-Examiner~y2010m7d13-Whoopi-Goldberg-defends-Mel-Gibson-Mel-Gibson-is-not-a-racist

We've been following the goings-on over at the "Mel Gibson Meltdownapalooza"
for the past few weeks. By now, you've probably heard one or more of the audio
tapes that Gibson's ex has leaked to the press, so we don't need to reiterate
the blatant hate-speech, misogyny, and-- let's face it-- flat-out threats that
Gibson spits out during these tapes. This is the sorta situation that any
reasonable, intelligent, rational thinking-person could look at and say, "You
know, I think that Mel Gibson's a bit of a racist, and probably a few other
things". With that said, Whoopi Goldberg has sprung into action to defend Mel
Gibson as decidedly un-racist. Read all about it below, my gentle Examiner
readers...

This Mel Gibson thing's really getting out of hand. The current news on the
situation is that authorities are now looking into the Gibson/Oksana (that'd be
his ex-wife) debacle for a multitude of reasons. On one side of the fence,
you've got Gibson's camp accusing Oksana of trying to extor Gibson by releasing
the tapes to the media. This side claims that Gibson was set-up and provoked
into making the several audio tapes that have now leaked to the press. On the
other side of the debate, you've got Gibson's ex's people, who claim that
Gibson beat her up, threatened to "plant her in (his) rose garden", and that
Gibson's a flaming racist. Now, just because there aren't enough cooks in this
particular kitchen, Whoopi Goldberg's got a few things to say:

I have had a long friendship with Mel. You can say he's being a bonehead, but I
can't sit and say that he's a racist having spent time with him in my house
with my kids," added Goldberg, 54."I don't like what he's done, make no
mistake," she went on. "I'm not defending Mel. I'm simply saying I don't see
him as [a racist] because that's not been my experience with him."

That's Whoopi Goldberg speaking to MSN.com. She's apparently taken the stance
that, while Gibson's behavior is certainly "boneheaded", it's not necessarily
racist. Goldberg's careful to add that she doesn't support Gibson's behavior or
the things that he's said that might be construed as threatening to Gibson's ex
or children, but that whole "pack of n---gers" thing definitely wasn't racist.
With that in mind, let's take a trip down memory lane for the other non-racist
and tolerant things that Gibson's been caught saying on camera, on tape, or by
police officers with glorious breasts:

You look like a f-cking pig in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of n---ers,
it will be your fault."

F-cking Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world… Are you
a Jew?"

With this look, who's going to think I'm gay? I don't lend myself to that type
of confusion. Do I look like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like
them?"

(Ed. Note: More gay-talk) They take it up the @ss. [laughs, stands up, bends
over, points to anus] This is only for taking a sh-t."

Those last two comments came from an interview that Gibson gave back in 1991 to
El Pais, a Spanish publication. We can only assume that he wasn't speaking in
Spanish during the interview, as that would just make this whole thing even
weirder. Goldberg's really digging herself a hole by getting involved in this
Gibson situation. Of course, getting her name out there in conjunction with
this brouhaha will only bring more viewers to her daily talk show, The View ,
long known as an esteemed braintrust offering informed opinions on politics,
world culture, and entertainment. What do you folks think? Should Whoopie give
it a rest, or does she speak the truth? Sound off in the comments section
below, my precious snowflakes.

UPDATE: Right after posting this, we were tipped off that Mel Gibson's been
revealed as having used yet another, brand-new (for Gibson) racial slur on
tape. Radar Online's got the new tape up, and it would appear that this time,
Gibson's taking his crusade to the Mexican community. Here's what the tape
says:

I will fire (name omitted) if she’s at your house. I will make it known and
fire her. I’ll report her to the f *cking people that take f *cking money from
the wetbacks, ok?”

Mel's speaking, of course, about the Hispanic caretaker the couple hired to
take care of their daughter. You know, if Mel Gibson doesn't stop making these
non-racist comments, someone's going to get the idea that he might be kinda
racist. Stay tuned for what we're sure will be a well-reasoned, informed
opinion from the star of Sister Act 2 in the near future. By the way, what
minority group do we have left on the Mel Gibson checklist? Has he taken on the
Asians yet? Let's hope that Mel Gibson doesn't have any in his employ.