On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Keith Johnson <keithbjohn...@comcast.net>wrote:

> Wow, sorry to hear about your unfortunate past, which is all too common in
> this world.

Entirely too common. :( It's one of the things I've learned about in talking
with others. People estimate it's one in four women; I'm going to boldly
state it's more like three in four.

> But you make the point I was trying to make. Rave is right on, this is too
> much a gimmick in media. But in some contexts it may be germane to the
> story. A possible American spy captured by the North Koreans would indeed be
> tortured, and I can see this being done to a man--as it was done with Bond
> when he was captured by the N. Koreans in his movie. I didn't see the scene
> with Salt as exploitative, but reasonable in the context of this particular
> movie, be Salt a man or woman.

I read an article that stated that this movie was originally meant to have a
male lead but for whatever reason, Jolie won the role. If that scene was in
there before then it's obviously not a chick thing. But *again*...depends on
how it's done.

> Also, as you mentioned, there is an unfortunate truth that sexual assault,
> beating, and dehumanization of people is part of what happens in war and
> captivity. Men beat male prisoners, and stripping a prisoner naked is a
> universal method to make that person feel physically and mentally naked, a
> way to take away any semblance of physical or psychological protection from
> the prisoner. That is done to men and women, and no one is above doing it,
> such as our own beloved United States, which stripped Middle Eastern
> prisoners like this, and humiliated them in all sorts of psycho-sexual ways.
> Male prisoners are sexually abused more than we might believe. It is true,
> alas, that such abuse is more common on women. But again, in this case, I
> think the portrayal was realistic in the context of the movie.

Well said!