BTW, scitepm actually drives SciTE pretty smartly.  It makes up its
own unique pipes, and passes the ipc properties in the environment to
its own SciTE instance.  So there is no problem with multiple scitepm
instances. The new interface extensions can coexist quite happily.

I'm the author of scitepm, so thanks for the nice words.  :-)

I'm very happy to modify scitepm to work with whatever IPC strategy
you guys want to set up in scite.  The code in scitepm is very clean,
and implementing the required changes would be a snap.  Just let me
know what the final interface is going to be.

Oh-- and as far as window focus goes, it would be nice to be able to
request for scite to front itself.  I discussed that with Neil about a
year ago, and he was interested in the idea, but I never got around to
submitting a patch....