SUZANNE MACDONALD wrote:

> Toby Ryder wrote:
>
>         Is that surprising? I find it to be not in the least bit
> surprising.
> Skinner did alot of things with his playing that were very "classical"
> in nature.
>
> For me it is surprising. Skinner was hardly unfamiliar with the
> tradition. I find that the "classical" label is placed on Skinner too
> frequently and without foundation and always with a negative
> connotation. I also fnd it odd that this view is held by many people in
> Cape Breton and yet they are playing more of his tunes than anybody
> else's.
>
> Alexander

        Have you heard those old wax recordings of Skinner? That's what makes
me think of him as trying to be a "classical" sort of player.
        It's true that alot of Skinner tunes get played in Cape Breton, I play
alot of Skinner tunes also, however they make them sound like Cape
Breton tunes, as opposed to the way that Skinner played them. Buddy
MacMaster for certain plays the Spey in the Spate differently then
Skinner would have.
        I am glad that written music is open to different intrepretation.

        BTW, my surname is not Ryder. I am a Rider, a MacDougall and a Yang,
but not a Ryder :-)

Toby