Derek said:

   >I seem to recall discussing this with Stuart Eydmann once-  Stuart had some
   >evidence that 'down bow on the first beat' was not so common among self-taught
   >traditional fiddlers.

I was giving a fiddle workshop in Talinn, Estonia where a Swedish fiddler observed
that I always seemed to start on an up bow and that she had noticed this with a number
of other Scottish and Irish fiddlers. I am wholly self taught (ok, it shows!) and
therefore never had the teacher leading instruction pieces with the down bow or
telling me to start that way. Like the birls, I don't think about it infact I can't
think about it without falling off the fiddle.

Stuart