On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, SUZANNE MACDONALD wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:33:01 -0400
> From: SUZANNE MACDONALD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [scots-l] Birlin'
>
> Toby Ryder wrote:
>

>         Is that surprising? I find it to be not in the least bit
> surprising.
> Skinner did alot of things with his playing that were very "classical"
> in nature.
>
> For me it is surprising. Skinner was hardly unfamiliar with the
> tradition. I find that the "classical" label is placed on Skinner too
> frequently and without foundation and always with a negative
> connotation. I also fnd it odd that this view is held by many people in
> Cape Breton and yet they are playing more of his tunes than anybody
> else's.
>
> Alexander

        With all due respect, Alexander, this last stetement completely
baffles me, and for the sake of learning I'd really appreciate some
clarification.
        Yes, there is a common body of Skinner's tunes floating around in
the Cape Breton repertoire - airs, reels, and some moderate and slow
strathspeys - and of course the variations he composed for
Tullochgorm. I'm aware of those.
        However it seems to me that at the dances and concerts I've been
to on the island, and on the recordings I have, there is a sampling of
Skinner tunes, but the Gows', the Lowes', Marshall's and MacIntosh's
to name a few of the older composers. Among the more recent composers
whose tunes I've frequently heard played in those venues are Dan R., John
Campbell, Donald Angus, Kinnon and Joey Beaton, Jerry Holland, Brenda
Stubbert.. the list goes on.
        However if I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you're
saying that there are more Skinner tunes in the Cape Breton repertoire
than of any of the composers I just named off. That puzzles because it
doesn't seem to line up with what little experience I've had of the
tradition. Could you please explain further?

Thanks,
Wendy

P.S. and what about that one composer named "Traditional"? I always
thought the biggest chunk of the CB repertoire were his tunes.. :-)