Toby Rider wrote:

> ...does anyone have anyone good recommendations of recordings of
> Scottish "mouthie" players?

Donald Black is a contemporary player with at least a couple of CDs.
There isn't a great deal else available.

So who are the Scots moothie players? Donald Davidson recorded several
78s for Beltona in the 1920s. I have a couple of them, and they're
terrific. He has a very full sound, and it sounds like he's playing an
accordion. (There is an excellent article on Davidson on the Musical
Traditions site)

I'm not sure if the record 'The Caledonian Companion' has been released
on CD, but if it is, it features Willie Fraser on moothie and diddling.
If I remember correctly, Fraser is also on the Bothy Ballads CD (School
of Scottish Studies recording - sublime album).

Davy Marshall is another who both plays moothie and diddles - is there
perhaps a tradition of this? he recorded with The Fife Yokels, who also
included Agnes Brown, accordionist and moothie-ist.

Who else would make this list?

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]