I stand corrected.  However, I tink a lot of the problems you list are
resolvable by intelligent use of the words/chords features in abc - ie:
they're mostly added text.

I also think it's useful to distinguish between what the abc specification
allows and what particular player or print programs do.

Regards,

Ted