Rita Hamilton wrote:

> I'm wondering just what you would use as your music source books.
> Would you mind sharing?

Hi Rita. Luckily I had compiled such a list back at the beginning of
April, so here goes:

1. Clan Dumphries Miscellany - a collection of sheep-calls,
   cattle-summoning songs, mussel-sellers' ditties, etc, adapted for
   the German Flute and Harp
2. Reeves's Rip-Roaring Reels - original tunes from very old and
   legendary box-player from Stanley, Lanarkshire.
3. MacCauliff's Collection - A seventeenth century manuscript of tunes
   from the Glenrothes conurbation, Fife
4. Skinner's Trashcan - a modern American book, a small collection of
   tunes composed by James Scott Skinner but of which he personally
   was ashamed.
5. Hastingius Caledonius - Scottish dance tunes adapted for the Spanish
   guitar and maracas
6. Cathcart's Selection - Music for the wire strung harp, didjuridu and
   cathedral bells.
7. Gatherer's Musical Gumption - a single sheet consisting of the
   celebrated ukulele player's greatest hits
8. Hoy You! Tunes in the East Leith Style - Edinburgh fiddler Derek Hoy
   presents tunes auld and new, including the newly-composed "The
   Blessing of the Tartan"
9. Celtic Soporific - Gentle, evocative tunes with sensitive backing
   ideal for getting the baby to sleep
10. Kerr's Magical Musings (all five volumes) - when a hapless
    compositor set hundreds of Scottish dance tunes back-to-front
    publisher JS Kerr was furious. However, on playing through the
    collection, he realised that they sounded better that way, and this
    remarkable document was released. ALP Scots Music Group in
    Edinburgh now have three classes dedicated to playing reels, jigs
    and strathspeys entirely the wrong way round, and I have heard of
    a session breaking out in Silver Spring, Maryland, US, where if any
    harpist attempts to play a tune forwards, they're bombarded with
    filthy looks.

I'm not sure how many of these books are still available, but for a
suitable fee, I'm sure something could be knocked up. Cheques and
international money orders to the usual address.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]