At 08:08 AM 1/15/03 -0800, you wrote:
 I don't know about this Sue. I have to say that I disagree with the
people who are into these contests. Especially the ones who use
competitions as a balm to their egos.. IMHO, there's something wrong with
that. In Ireland they have trad. music competitions as well and I think
those are not good either.

  I've met some fiddlers *especially* who have some serious ego issues. If
anything, they could use being cut down a couple notches..
(snip)Music
is different then sports. Music is about self-expression. Who is to judge
that?

        First of all, the competition should be about the music, not about the instrument. It seems to me that musicianship always wins, and the ones who don't win have not learned to express themselves within the idiom. At least on the upper levels.And having been a judge, it is nearly always really clear who has that spark or not.
        Second, you will find egos everywhere, not just comps. It says to me that the person has issues of inadequacy, so what?
        Third, some of music IS about sheer skill, on the upper levels, and the winning musician has a combination of skill, concentration, stamina, creativity, and interpretation.

 The whole musical competition atmosphere creates a bunch of players who
sound like robots. I can't stand listening to those GHP competition
recordings, they're dull as cold oatmeal, because they all sound the
same. However I am totally crazy about Barry Shears, Paul MacNeil, Gordon
Duncan, because they're different, they're taking chances, they're
expressing some emotions. They've made the GHP a real musicial instrument
to me again.

        I don't agree about the robots at all. Musical competition is an (optional) step on the ladder of becoming a performing musician. It trains you in the idiom so that you can then stretch the boundaries and perform in whatever manner you want. I don't say that this is the only way to learn the idiom, but it is a pretty good one. It also looks good on your resume, and unfortunately the rest of the world cares about that. Get over it.

 There are plenty of subtle ways of affirming that what you're playing
sounds good, and plenty of ways to motivate yourself to continue to
improve your music, without having to be officially judged.. For example,
you play a gig, and you get asked back to play again. You start getting
phone calls to play at different places and they actually pay you, you
play a gig and get a nice little write up in the paper, you're playing
somewhere and women start throwing things (not vegatables) onto the
platform :-)

        No, people get asked back to most gigs if they are minimally competant, clean, nicely dressed (well, not always), and easy to get along with. Only the most discriminating know when you are playing well. People will listen to anything and tell you it is good. I think you need the opinion of an expert/mentor/judge if you are to really improve.

        Gosh, I must not be good yet. No women have thrown things onto my stages...

        Sue