>          Hear, hear. (A good instructor could coach you through the comp
>
> and help adjust your attitude towards it, to something a little
> healthier.  But, as I said, comps are not for everyone. We just
> shouldn't assume that  what is bad for you is bad for me.)

  Heh..Heh.. What I would want to play, or rather the way I would want to
play it, is not something that would be exactly appropriate for a fiddle
competition. :-) Have you ever heard track 1, "Beaton's favorite" off of
Ashley MacIsaac's album "Hi How Are You Today?".
  I personally think he's totally brilliant, because he's taken
traditional Scottish music and made it totally accessible to regular
people of my generation. I've actually heard that track played in
nightclubs here in Los Angeles. That's something which very few other
people have been able to do.
  One of my buddies who runs a recording studio in Venice (who knows
nothing about Scottish music) when he first met me said "So you play
Scottish music? Like Ashley MacIsaac and Wolfstone? Wow, those guys
really rock.. That's really cool!"  Another traditional artist who has
brought traditional music into this century is Mary Jane Lamond, singing
entirely in Gaelic.. I'm a huge fan of hers as well.
   That's the direction I'm starting to go with this music. At heart I'm a
traditional player, but it's time for me to push the envelope. I want
my peers to feel just how gutsy this music can be. It's not just old
dudes sitting around playing ancient tunes in the gleab.
   My next move is to buy an electric fiddle, either a Zeta or a Yamaha,
and start pluging it into all my guitar effects, just to see how much I
can tweak the tones out of 4 little strings. Guitarists have been
experimenting with this stuff since the 1940's, I think it will be
interesting to see just how much I can get my fiddle to not sound like
a fiddle.