At 08:05 PM 1/16/03 -0800, you wrote:

>          Take it however you want. I am not an elitist. And I stand by
> it;
> it's good advice. I think a lot of people don't know what to do to
> improve,  and don't realize whats wrong when it doesn't sound right, and
> they don't  feel comfortable asking their peers, and don't have anyone
> to go to for  lessons. I am talking about the boondocks here, not San
> Francisco or D.C.  or Seattle or Boston.

 Okay, thanks for explaining your positions on this stuff. It's good that
we've come to some understanding about this topic. We do actually agree
on alot of this stuff. I"m not as anti-competition as I was before this
discussion started, and hopefully you understand where I am coming from
when I say that competitions are something that I have to personally
avoid.

        Thanks, Toby, that means a lot.

 Believe it or not, all of this stuff used to bother me alot more a couple
years ago. Now I'm mostly just tired of being frustrated by it. The
fiddle isn't the only instrument I play, Scottish music isn't the only
type of music I play. My paycheck doesn't depend on my next gig. So what
the heck, I'm just going to make music and enjoy it and forget what
anyone says about it except that small minority of people who know
anything about what I'm trying to do. I think that's an attitude you can
appreciate.

        Hear, hear. (A good instructor could coach you through the comp and help adjust your attitude towards it, to something a little healthier. But, as I said, comps are not for everyone. We just shouldn't assume that what is bad for you is bad for me.)
        Scottish and Irish music are 99% of what I play, and my paycheck does depend on it. Nevertheless, I too am going to make music and enjoy it and forget what anyone says about it except those I care about.  ....This has caused me to reflect on the musical experiences I have had this year, and I can hardly believe that I have been this lucky. I have shared tunes in many homes, been at intimate gatherings at fests, and been on big stages, taught in many places. Life is good.
        Cheers, Toby!
        Sue